VPS Hosting is a Virtual Service Provider and is a virtualized server. VPS hosting is a type of hosting who have bulged shared hosting. Where numerous sites dwells on a single web server and shared hosting and have no assurance of resources. VPS permits fewer users to share earmark segments of hard drive space, memory and processor space. Each user on a VPS server has access to a virtual machine running its own copy of an operating system. This allows customers using VPS hosting to experience similar capabilities and performance to a dedicated server for their sites. A virtual private server (VPS) is generally considered as the stepping stone between shared hosting and a dedicated hosting setup in which your website runs on its own server.
There are Different Types of VPS Hosting
- With unmanaged VPS, your web hosting takes over installing the operating system, and you as the site owner take over managing various aspects of the server such as:
- Installing software, your control panel and taking care of software updates.
- Monitoring for security threats, installing security patches and fixing error messages.
- In the event of an outage or hardware failure you won’t get much if any support from your host.
- Configuring and maintaining your server including any upgrades you might want to see.
- You take over the responsibility of setting up your sites backup services.
- This is recommended for site owners who have a technical background.
- Site owners with less technical acumen or a smaller staff can benefit from managed VPS. With managed VPS hosting, IT professionals lighten your load by keeping your server running correctly and taking care of your virtual server. Here’s what you should expect from a web hosting provider:
- Initial server setup
- When you launch your site with a VPS there are a few steps to take in order to set the server up including installing your control panel, server software and installing any applications and your operating system. A managed host will take care of this.
Similarly, all applications and OS updates, and ongoing fine tuning of the server will be handled for you.
- Security patches.
- Security patches for your OS and core server software are installed and updated, on your behalf.
- Monitors for early warning signs of hardware failure and malicious attack
- Automated backups
In the event anything goes wrong with your site, you can retrieve it back to an earlier version.
What is the Benefits of VPS Hosting?
VPS hosting gives you the affordability of shared hosting while at the same time giving you more power and control like a dedicated server.
- Privacy : As you don’t share your OS with anyone else, there are no other websites on your server that potentially have access to your files.
- Customization : With a VPS Server, you have your own Operating System. This also means that you have your own instances of all server applications such as Apache, PHP, and MySQL. If you need to have any of these services customized, you can make changes to suit the server to your needs.
- Control: If you’re installing server applications that require a system restart, you can do so at any time. Even though technically you share a server with other VPS servers, your VPS server can be restarted without affecting anyone else.
- Dedicated Resources: On a VPS Server, you have dedicated amounts of RAM available to you at any time. Unlike shared hosting, there is no one else on your server that can use utilize all the RAM when you need it most!